Study Abroad & Afield
The Pullen Herbarium
UM Field Station
Home | Contact Us | Webmail | Blackboard | myOleMiss
Coordinator of Laboratory Programs
Department of Biology
The University of Mississippi
Office: 320 Shoemaker Hall
Telephone: (662) 915-5786
- B.A. (Biology) Carleton College, Northfield, MN 1976
- M.S. (Biology) University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 1979
- -- Graduate student (visiting), Friday Harbor Marine Laboratory, University of Washington, Summer, 1980
- Ph.D. (Biological Sciences) University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH 1982
- University of Mississippi - Fall 1997 to present
Coordinator of Laboratory Programs and Instructor of Biology
Adjunct Associate Professor of Biology (1992-1997)
- Rhodes College, Memphis, TN - Aug. 1995 to May 1997; Visiting Associate Professor
- Mississippi Entomological Museum - 1992 to present; Research Associate
- Albion College, Albion, MI - Aug. 1985 to May 1995
- Awarded tenure, Spring 1990
- Associate Professor of Biology, Spring 1991
- Bradley University, Peoria, IL - Aug. 1983 to May 1985; Assistant Professor of Biology
- Ohio State University, Columbus, OH - Sept. 1982 to Aug. 1983; University Postdoctoral Fellowship
SELECTED GRANTS & FELLOWSHIPS
- 1982 University Postdoctoral Fellowship, The Ohio State University
- 1984 Cottrell College Science Grant from the Research Corporation. "The Karyotype of Wolf Spiders: A comparison of the chromosomes of closely related species and of hybrids between species in the genus Schizocosa" $14,200.
- 1984, 1985 Grants from Bradley Board for Research and Creativity on behavior in wolf spiders. $2750.
- 1984 Illinois State Board of Education. "Science Concepts for Middle Grade Teachers". This was a year-long Institute for regional Middle Grade Teachers taught by 6 faculty members in the Sciences. ($34,149).
- 1986-94 Albion College Faculty Development Grants to develop the Invertebrate Teaching Collection and for research in wolf spiders.
- 1987 Albion College "Distinguished Scholar Award"
- 1988, 1989 Pew Science Foundation, Faculty Summer Research Award. ($10,000)
- Ecological and behavioral investigation of invertebrate fauna of native and managed habitats." Collaboration with Dr. Raymond Brand, Wheaton College, Wheaton, IL
- 1991, 1992 Albion College Faculty Development Grants awarded to Judith Lockyer, Trisha Franzen and me for week long faculty workshop to develop the Women’s Studies Program ($2200).
- 1992 National Geographic Society "Reproductive behavior, habitat and distribution of Schizocosa wolf spiders." to G. Stratton and G. Miller ($16,749)
- 1994 National Geographic Society "Geographic variation in courtship behavior in Schizocosa wolf spiders." to G. Stratton and G. Miller ($11,000)
- 1995 University of Mississippi "Genetic variation among cryptic populations of a forest floor spider: species in the making." Faculty Small Grants Program, Office of Research, funded: to G. Miller, G. Stratton and S. D’Surney ($3500)
- 1996 Woodrow Wilson Foundation "Biodiversity and behavior in wolf spiders" to develop a collaborative project with High School teachers ($4000)
- 1998 NSF Instrumentation Program "DNA Fingerprinting Exercise for the Biology Freshman Laboratory Program," to G. Miller, G. Stratton and S. D’Surney ($19,243)
- American Arachnological Society, Treasurer since 1987
- British Arachnological Society
- International Society of Arachnology
- National Association of Biology Teachers
- Sigma Xi (President of Albion Chapter, 1990)
- Society for the Study of Evolution
SUPERVISED STUDENT RESEARCH
- Graduate Students (have served as Graduate Committee member)
- 1986-1988 Sonie Scheffer, University of Cincinnati
- 1994-1998 Edgar Leighton, University of Mississippi
- 1994-1996 Eileen Hebets, University of Cincinnati
- 1995-1997 Kevin Delany, University of Mississippi
- 1998-2001 Melissa Orr, University of Mississippi
- 1998- Beth Germano, University of Mississippi
HONORS THESES COMPLETED UNDER MY DIRECTION
- 1986 Gayle Hebets--"The effects of prey availability on the social behavior among the juveniles of the spider Achaearanea tepidariorum"
- 1989 Daniel Fleming--"AIDS-related information, attitudes, and behavior in the freshmen class at Albion College"
- 1991 Matthew Persons--"Estimation of carbon storage for urban and suburban lands for three southeastern states" (Published)
- 1994 Eileen Hebets--"Habitat and courtship behavior of the wolf spider Schizocosa retrorsa (Araneae; Lycosidae)" (Published in J. Arachnol.)
- 1995 Jo Latimore--"The effects of density and time-of-day on activity patterns in two species of wolf spiders (Araneae; Lycosidae)"
- 1995 Jeff Hardy--"A comparison of distribution, courtship and burrowing behavior in two species of Arctosa (Araneae: Lycosidae)"
- 1995 Corey Voss-- "Fine structure of regenerative tissue exposed to varying magnetic fields in planaria."
- Bailey, Natalie. 1996. Courtship behavior and effect of substrate on effectiveness of courtship in Schizocosa saltatrix (Hentz) (Araneae, Lycosidae). Rhodes College Science Journal. 14:1-12.
- Nguyen, Phuong. Stridulatory Organs in Schizocosa Wolf Spiders: A Comparison of Two Populations.
- Poster presented at Rhodes College Undergraduate Science Symposium, 1996.
- Grey, Elizabeth (G. Stratton as coauthor). "The Evolution of Courtship Behavior in Schizocosa: a Phylogenetic Analysis." presented at Tennessee Academy of Science Meeting, The University of the South, Sewanee, Tenn. Nov. 22, 1996. Elizabeth won the award for the Best Student Presentation.
- Abernathy, Leslie "The behavior of spiderlings: when does tolerance become cannibalism?" Poster presented at Rhodes College Undergraduate Science Symposium. 1997
- 1981 Dept. Zoology, The Ohio State University
- 1982 Dept. Biology, Ohio Wesleyan University
- 1982 Dept. Entomology, The Ohio State University
- 1982 Dept. Biology, Northern Kentucky University
- 1982 Dept. Biology, Hope College
- 1983 Dept. Biology, Western Carolina University
- 1984 Museum of Comparative Zoology, Harvard University
- 1984 Dept. Entomology, University of Illinois
- 1985 Dept. Entomology, University of Columbia, MO
- 1986 Dept. of Biology, University of Chicago, IL
- 1987 Dept. of Biology, Miami of Ohio, Oxford, OH
- 1991 Dept. of Biology, Denison University, Granville, OH
- 1994 Dept. of Biology, Hope College, Holland, MI
- 1994 Dept. of Biology, Rhodes College, Memphis, TN
- 1996 Dept. of Biology, University of Mississippi, Oxford, MS
- 1996 Dept. of Biology, University of Southern Mississippi, Hattiesburg, MS
- 1997 Dept. of Biology, University of Memphis, Memphis,TN
PUBLICATIONS (All in refereed journals)
Stratton, G.E., R.B. Suter, P.R. Miller. 2004. Evolution of water surface locomotion by spiders: a comparative approach. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society. 81:63-78. Full text.
Suter, R.B., G. E. Stratton, P.R. Miller. 2003. Water surface locomotion by spiders: distinct gaits in diverse families. Journal of Arachnology. Volume 31:428-432. Full text.
Suter, R.B., G. E. Stratton, P.R. Miller. 2004. Phylogenetic constraints on aquatic locomotion: surface adhesion and hair density. Journal of Arachnology. Volume 32(1).
Suter, R.B. & G.E. Stratton. 2004. Scytodes vs. Schizocosa: Predatory techniques and their morphological correlates. Journal of Arachnology.
Miller, G.L., G.E. Stratton and P.R Miller and E.A. Hebets. 1998. Geographical variation in male courtship behaviour and sexual isolation in wolf spiders of the genus Schizocosa. Animal Behaviour 56: 937-951.
Stratton, G.E. 1997. Investigation of species divergence and reproductive isolation of Schizocosa stridulans (Araneae, Lycosidae) from Illinois. Bulletin of the British Arachnological Society. 10:313-321.
Stratton, G.E. 1997. A new species of wolf spider (Araneae; Lycosidae) from the southeastern USA. Journal of Arachnology. 25: 84-92.
Scheffer, S. G.W. Uetz and G.E. Stratton, 1996. The role of visual communication and conspicuous secondary sexual characteristics in the courtship of male wolf spiders (Araneae: Lycosidae). Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology.38:17-23. Full text.
Stratton, G., P. Miller, G. Miller and E. Hebets. 1996. Copulatory pattern and duration in wolf spiders (Araneae; Lycosidae). J. Arachnol. 24: 186-20.
Hebets, E.A., G.E. Stratton and G. Miller. 1996. Habitat and courtship behavior in Schizocosa retrorsa (Banks) (Araneae; Lycosidae). J. Arachnol. 24: 141-147.
Stratton, G.E. 1995. A gynandromorphic Schizocosa (Araneae, Lycosidae). J. Arachnol. 23: 130-133.
Cady, A.L., R. Leech, L. Sorkin, G. Stratton and M. Caldwell. 1993. Acrocerid (Insecta: Diptera) life histories, behaviors, host spiders (Arachnida: Araneida), and distribution records. Canadian Entomologist. Vol. 125 (5): 931-944.
Steiner, W.W.M., M.H. Greenstone and G.E. Stratton, 1992. Variation in Schizocosa (Araneae: Lycosidae), Metaphidippus and Phidippus (Araneae: Salticidae). Journal of Arachnology 20:35-39.
Stratton, G. 1991. Schizocosa stridulans (Araneae: Lycosidae) a new species of wolf spider. J. Arachnology. Vol 18:29-39.
Kane, T.C., T.C. Barr, Jr. & G.E. Stratton 1990. Genetic patterns and population structure in Appalachian Trechus of the vandykei group (Coleoptera: Carabidae). Brimleyana 16: 133-150.
Maddison, W.P. and G.E. Stratton. 1988. Sound production and associated morphology in jumping spiders of the Habronattus agillis species group (Araneae: Salticidae) J. Arachnology. 16: 199.211.
Uetz, G.W., T.C. Kane, G.E. Stratton and M. Benton. 1986. The genetic basis of social grouping tendency in communal spiders. In: M.D. Huettel, Ed. Evolutionary Genetics of Invertebrate Behavior.Plenum Publ. Corp., NY.
Stratton, G.E. and G.W. Uetz. 1986. The inheritance of courtship behavior in Schizocosa wolf spiders. In: Huettel, Ed. Evolutionary Genetics of Invertebrate Behavior. Plenum Publ. Corp., NY. Full text.
Stratton, G.E. and G.W. Uetz. 1986. The inheritance of courtship behavior and its role as a reproductive isolating mechanism in two species of Schizocosa wolf spiders (Araneae: Lycosidae). Evolution 40:129-144.
Stratton, G.E. 1985. Introduction to behavioral studies of wolf spiders. Revue Arachnologique. 6:57-70.
Stratton, G.E. 1984. Differences in maturation rates of Schizocosa ocreata, Schizocosa rovneri their F1, F2 hybrids and backcross progeny (Araneae: Lycosidae). Bull. of British Arachnological Society. 6: 193-199.
Stratton, G.E. and D.C. Lowrie. 1984. Schizocosa mccooki from New Mexico: Courtship behavior and life cycle. J. of Arachnology 12: 223-228.
Uetz, G.W. and G.E. Stratton. 1983. Communication in spiders. Endeavour: 13-18.
Stratton, G.E. and G.W. Uetz. 1983. Communication via substratum-coupled stridulation and reproductive isolation in wolf spiders. Anim. Behav. 31: 164-172.
Uetz, G.W., T.C. Kane, and G.E. Stratton. 1982. Geographic variation in the social grouping tendency of a colonial web building spiders. Science 217: 547-549.
Uetz, G.W. and G.E. Stratton. 1982. Acoustic communication and reproductive isolation in spiders. In: Witt, P.N. and J.S. Rovner, eds. Spider communication; mechanisms and ecological significance. Princeton Univ. Press, Princeton, N.J.
Stratton, G.E. and G.W. Uetz. 1981. Acoustic communication and reproductive isolation in two species of wolf spiders (Araneae: Lycosidae). Science 214: 575-576.
Stratton, G.E., G.W. Uetz, and D.G. Dillery. 1979. A comparison of the spiders of three coniferous tree pecies. J. Arachnol. 6: 219-26.
Research papers in preparation
Stratton, G.E. Phylogeny of Schizocosa: insights into the evolution of behavior.
Stratton, G.E.. 1999, 2000, 2001. Biological Sciences 103. Inquiry into Life Laboratory: Human Biology. Hayden McNeil. ISBN 0-9380-0076-0.
Stratton, G.E. & C.L. Ochs. 1999, 2000, 2001. Biological Sciences 105. Inquiry into Life Laboratory: Diversity and the Environment. Hayden McNeil. ISBN 0-7380-0226-7.
Stratton, G.E. 2001. Biological Sciences 161 Laboratory Manual. Hayden McNeil. ISBN0-7380-0535-5.
Stratton, G.E. 2000. Book review: "Spiders of New Zealand and their world wide kin" By Ray and Lyn Forster. 1999. Univ. of Otago Press. Choice Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol 38 # 1.
Stratton, G.E. 2000 Review: "University of Florida Book of Insect Records" Ed. by Tom Walker. URL: http://ufbir.ifas.ufl.edu/. Choice Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol 37, # 8.
Stratton, G.E. 1999. Book review: "Women pioneers for the environment." by. Mary Joy. Northeastern University, 1998. Choice. Current reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol 36 # 7.
Stratton, G.E. 1998. Book review: "The evolution of social behavior in insects and arachnids." Ed. By Jae C. Choe and Bernard J. Crespi. Cambridge. 1997. Choice.Current reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol 35 # 6.
Stratton, G.E. 1997. Book review: "Selection: the mechanism of evolution." By. G. Bell. Choice, Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol. 34 #9.
Stratton, G.E. 1996. Book review. "Cultivating women, cultivating science: Flora's Daughters and Botany in England, 1760 to 1860" Choice , Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol. 33. #34-1522.
Stratton, G.E. 1996. Book review: "Reinventing biology; respect for life and the creation of knowledge" Ed. By L. Birke and R. Hubbard. Indiana, 1995. Choice, Current Reviews for Academic Libraries. Vol 33 (7). # 33-3879.
Stratton, G.E. 1995. Book review: "Spiders in Ecological Webs" by D.H. Wise. J. Arachnol. 23:48-50.
Stratton, G. 1991. Sound and Vibrations in the (Mostly) Insect World. Book review: Ewing, A.W. 1989. Arthropod bioacoustics: neurobiology and behaviour. Comstock Publ. Associates. Cornell Univ. Press. Ecology 72(2): 762-763.
Stratton, G.E. 1996. Wolf spiders: laboratory exercises investigating behavior and distribution. Drawings by E. Hebets and M. Persons. Funded by grant from the Woodrow Wilson National Fellowship Foundation. This was adopted by the Association for the Study of Animal Behaviour (ASAB) for use in Britain.
Web address for "Wolf Spiders": http://www.accessexcellence.org/LC/SS/wolf_spider/
Hickling, R., R.L. Brown, P. Lee, G. Stratton and D. Velea. 1998. Analysis of Acoustic Communication in the Black Fire Ant, Solenopsis richteri. Proceedings of the Imported Fire Ant Research Conference.
Stratton, G.E. Strategies for Developing Skills in Teaching: Application of Microteaching to a Laboratory Setting. "Strategies of Success Newsletter" published by Wm. C. Brown. Fall 1999. No. 31.
Cover photographs for J. Arachnology, cover photographs for Bisc 103 and 105 manual. Michigan Entomological Society, Photo Salon. (Awards, first place and best of show). Oxford Eagle (North Miss. Swim Team). Photos Hogna carolinensis in Taratulas of Belize by S. Riechling, photos of Latrodectus mactans published as a poster for the "Spiders!" exhibit at Memphis Zoo.
PAPERS PRESENTED AT PROFESSIONAL MEETINGS (Titles provided of recent papers)
American Arachnological Society, Denver, July 2003. "Congruence between phylogenies created using morphological traits and mtDNA sequence data for the wolf spider genus Geolycosa." (with S. Marshall, P. Miller, R. Hoeh and W. Ting).
"Scytodes vs. Schizocosa: Predatory techniques and their morphological correlates" (With R. Suter).
"Evolution of water surface locomotion by spiders: a comparative approach" (with R. Suter and P. Miller).
Mississippi Academy of Sciences Annual meeting, Hattiesburg, Feb 12-14, 2003. "Composite ACT scores predict success in introductory Biology classes at the University of Mississippi. " Wendy J. Garrison (presenter), Paul K. Lago, Lucile M. McCook and Gail E. Stratton. Abstract ABS-102.
American Arachnological Society, Keene, NH. July 2001. "The evolution of neustonic locomotion in spiders" (with P. Miller and B. Suter.)
Mississippi Academy of Sciences, Tupelo, MS Feb. 2001. "Phylogeny of Schizocosa: insights into the evolution of behavior."
International Congress of Arachnology, South Africa. March 2001. "Sexual isolation in wolf spiders of the genus Schizocosa: ecological and phylogenetic perspectives." (Presented by G. Miller, coauthors included me, P. Miller and B. Germano).
American Arachnological Society Meeting, Lexington KY, July 2000. Poster: "Phylogeny of the North American Schizocosa: A morphological study."
American Arachnological Society Meeting*, Dickenson, ND, July 1997:
Poster: "Multiple origins of hairy legs: a phylogentic study of the ocreata group of Schizocosa."
Poster: "The courtship behavior of Schizocosa avida (Walckenaer) (Araneae, Lycosidae)" (with E. Grey)
Poster: "Mississippi- a transitional area for north and south? New reports of Geolycosa from Mississippi"
(with P. Miller and G. Miller).
Other presentations at professional meetings:
- 1998 Fire Ant Research Conference, Hot Spring, Ak. April 6-8 1998
- American Arachnological Society Meeting, Tucson, AZ, July 1996 (with Jo Latimore)
- Tennessee Academy of Science. Nov. 1996 (with Elizabeth Grey)
- American Arachnological Society Meeting*, Colombia, MO. June 1995
- Association of Southeastern Biologists* 1995
- American Arachnological Society Meeting, Gainesville, Fl. July 1994 (2 papers presented, I was coauthor on four other papers)
- 12th International Congress of Arachnology, Queensland Museum, Brisbane, Australia (Meeting from 12-18 July 1992). "The Cursorial Spider Fauna of Michigan and Illinois Prairies."
- American Arachnological Society, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, June 1990
- Pew Science Program, Great Lakes Cluster General Meeting Oct. 6, 1990
- American Arachnological Society, Las Cruces, NM* 1990
- Michigan Academy of Science, Arts and Letters, Albion MI. March 1990. (2 papers presented, with Dan Fleming and Morgan Knapp, Albion Students.)
- Midwest Animal Behavior Meeting, Charleston, IL. April 1987*
- American Arachnological Society, St. Charles, MO. 1986
- American Arachnological Society, Los Angeles, CA. 1985*
- American Arachnological Society, New Orleans, Louisiana. 1984
- American Society of Zoologists, Denver, Co. 1984*
- Midwest Regional Animal Behavior Meeting, Carbondale, IL 1984*
- American Arachnological Society, Athens, Oh 1983*
- American Society of Zoologists, Louisville, KY 1982* (with Drs. T.C. Kane and T.C. Barr, Jr.)
- Animal Behavior Society, Duluth, MN 1982
- American Arachnological Society Hampden-Sydney, Va 1982
- Midwestern Regional Animal Behavior Society, Urbana, IL 1982
- American Arachnological Society, Knoxville, TN 1981
- Animal Behavior Society, Knoxville, TN 1981
- American Arachnological Society, Cincinnati, OH 1980 (wth Drs. G.W. Uetz and T.C. Kane)
- Northeast Regional Meeting, Animal Behavior Society, Binghamton, NY 1980
- Ohio Graduate Student Symposium, Cincinnati, OH 1980*
- Northeast Regional Meeting, Animal Behavior Society, Woods Hole, MA 1979
- Ohio Academy of Sciences, Heidleburg College, Tiffin, OH 1979
- American Arachnological Society, Wichita Falls, TX 1979
- American Arachnological Society, Gainesville, FL 1978 (with G. Uetz and G. Denterlein)American Arachnological Society, Cullowee, NC 1977
*indicates session chaired at meeting
PROFESSIONAL AND COMMUNITY SERVICE
- Subject Editor in Behavior and Physiology for the American Arachnological Society.
- 1986 to present. Treasurer for The American Arachnological Society.
- 2001-2002 Member of Scientific Advisory Committee for Memphis Zoo Conservation Action Network.