As a great American public university, the University of Mississippi will lead and excel by engaging minds, transforming lives, and serving others.
The University of Mississippi's mission is to create, evaluate, share, and apply knowledge in a free, open, and inclusive environment of intellectual inquiry.
Building upon a distinguished foundation in the liberal arts, the state's oldest university serves the people of Mississippi and the world through a breadth of academic, research, and professional programs.
The University of Mississippi provides an academic experience that emphasizes critical thinking; encourages intellectual depth and creativity; challenges and inspires a diverse community of undergraduate, graduate, and professional students; provides enriching opportunities outside the classroom; supports lifelong learning; and develops a sense of global responsibility.
Statement of Institutional Core Values
In pursuing its mission, the University of Mississippi:
- Reaffirms its identity and purpose as fundamentally academic.
- Nurtures excellence in teaching, learning, creativity, and research.
- Provides the best and most accessible undergraduate education in the state of Mississippi.
- Offers high quality graduate and professional programs.
- Protects academic freedom and cultivates individual integrity and academic honesty.
- Promotes inclusiveness in its student body, faculty, and staff.
- Requires respect for all individuals and groups.
- Fosters a civil community of shared governance and collaborative endeavors.
- Practices good stewardship of its resources.
- Devotes its knowledge and abilities to serve the state and the world.
- Honors the dignity of all employees and compensates them fairly.
Learn more about the UM 2020 Strategic Plan.