[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Meeting of the Faculty of the Senate,

September 8, 1995

Vice Chair, Robert Hackett, called the Faculty Senate to order at 2:05 p.m., September 8, 1995, in Conner 122.

Present: C Alexander, M Arnold, L Bolen, J Bass, R Bass, R Cook, J Conlon, C Cunningham, D Dyer, C Eagles, M Eftink, P Emerson, A Fisher-Wirth, D Frate, F Gilbert, M Gorove, V Grisham, B Hackett, T Hall, J Harlan, R Haws, G Hopkins, J Johnson, R Klein, M Landon, W Leary, V Liberta, P Malone, R McLaughlin, J Mizenko, E Sisson, L Smith, M Smith, W Staton, J Stephani, P Sukanek, C Taylor, B Vaaler, R Varland, D Williams, C Williford, E Wood

Absent: L Bolen, M Boose, R Bowen, S Husni, E Komara, J Seydel, A Verlangieri

Prior Notification of Absence Given: S Arico, C Gold, W Jordan, G Mahler,T Ray, S Schreiber

ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM THE CHAIR: Vice Chair, Robert Hackett opened the meeting by calling for the faculty senate to rise and observe a moment of silence in tribute to Dr. Larry Debord, calling him "a dear friend, colleague, and . . . a devoted member of the Senate."


Vice Chair, Robert Hackett introduced the Chancellor noting that, "[there are] a lot of obvious changes on campus, buildings undergoing badly needed repair and restoration, unsightly areas being cleaned up, and the campus being networked, because we have a new and exciting Chancellor with the best interests of Ole Miss and its students at heart, and foremost his overriding concern."

Chancellor Khayat opened by saying how privileged and fortunate he feels to serve in his role. He stated that he was glad to meet with the Faculty Senate this early in the semester and that he hoped to establish the kind of relationship that will be productive and meaningful and beneficial to The University. " I believe the way to do that is to have clearly defined and established goals, to presume good faith, and to place the University's interests above our personal interests. I pledge to do that as Chancellor."

"Enrollment is up at 10,209 and might hit 10,300, versus last year's 10, 075. African-American enrollment is up at 10.2% (1039 students). This is the first time African-American enrollment has gone above 10%." He referred to planned renovations on Conner, the Old Gymnasium, the Lyceum, Ventriss, and planning of the Performing Arts Center. He hoped that the Senate would be pleased to hear that the emphasis at the Board of Trustees, regarding facilities, is on repair and renovation.

Referring to the transition team report on changing the University's organizational structure, he stated that we will have a Provost, with the position referred to as Provost/Academic Vice Chancellor. "We will have a Vice Chancellor for Administrative Affairs, Vice Chancellor for Student Life, and Vice Chancellor for Advancement. We lose the Executive Vice Chancellor's position, but we added Andy Mullins as special assistant to the Chancellor. Also, in the Provost's office there will be an Academic Affairs Division and an Operations Division. " He has tried to insure that decisions are driven by the academic mission of this University. "We will have the searches this fall for the Provost and Vice Chancellor for Student life."

"Over the last month I have been visiting on and off campus. I've had the pleasure of visiting in some of your academic departments. I'm able to see firsthand what the needs and strengths are. I'm going to continue campus tours for as long as I am Chancellor. I am in Jackson every Thursday as part of the Chancellor's responsibilities. The airplane goes down on Thursday mornings at 7:30 a.m. and usually returns about 4:30 p.m.. You are invited to go. Roger Eiles' office is the booking agency.

"I have been out in the high schools and in the community colleges in North Mississippi, and I've seen some things that are enlightening and challenging for us in this community. We need students at this campus, and they need your expertise. I am hoping there will be ways to have closer relationships with the public schools and with the community colleges. Exciting things are going on at the Tupelo and Desoto County facilities. The Report on the Campus Enhancement Initiative is well underway. There is a lot of faculty/staff involvement with the Building Mayors Program. A pilot is being initiated this fall. I have asked Mike Stewart to set up a building security program. The Safety Programs well underway.

"Now, my agenda: first, support of the academic mission. From the faculty comes the direction, through the office of the Provost/Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, where we are going academically. My role is to be supportive of those goals that you have. We are going to be [working] the recruiting and retention area. We don't intend to sacrifice quality for quantity, but it is important that we attract more students to this University, because our funding is enrollment driven, and there is a great need for persons out there to have access to this University. The funding needs we have will be consistently and aggressively addressed both in the pubic sector and in the private sector. This Sesquicentennial Initiative has been wonderful, but it is leading to a capital campaign and this is going to be for academic support. A final item on our agenda is to encourage excellence in teaching without compromising or sacrificing our commitment to quality research.

"The following challenges that I see that we have: first and foremost, salary enhancement for faculty and staff. I think there are things we can explore in addition to getting increases from the Legislature and the Board of Trustees, if we increase enrollment and support from the private sector. To attract the best students we've got to increase our scholarship endowment. Funding for scholarships will be a major item. The goal of a million volumes for the library is a real goal and a doable goal. [Finally, is] a major initiative for funding for repair and renovation of classroom and academic buildings.

"I ask you to be prospective in your thinking. I'll try to do the same. I'd like us to be honest, but positive, if we can. I'd like for us to be flexible in our thinking. I 'm going to try to be flexible and open and willing to change. With regard to my relationship with you, I will respect you as an advisory body. I hope that your focus will be on academic matters. I am going to be asking you for help and guidance and for suggestions. Your guidance and input will be very helpful to me. I answer to the Board of Trustees. I look to you for advice and encouragement and constructive criticism. I hope you understand that ultimately I have to respond to the Board of Trustees."

The Chancellor then offered to answer questions.

Asked if the new Provost's Office included the academic and operations areas with a Vice Chancellor for Operations, the Chancellor responded that was the proposal that came forward.

Asked if he thought that the Ayers case was fading away, the Chancellor noted that it was on appeal. "The Board would like to settle it. I believe that the Presidents would like to settle it. I think we have to go on regardless of what happens in the Ayers case. I do think that with respect to our Pharmacy, Law, and Engineering Schools, anything we can do to shore up our operations in these three areas would be helpful. The gift from John Adler for additional engineering scholarships came at a wonderful time. It gives us a chance to reinforce our commitment to engineering. The graduate courses being taught in engineering in Jackson are real important." Asked about state appropriations for students, he responded that every qualified student here generates $4800 in state appropriations, and every student pays roughly $2000. I'm hoping we can get enrollment to between 11,500 and 12,000. Regarding violations and NCAA sanctions, he was asked if the Athletic Department would be allowed to make up funding loss at the expense of the rest of the University. He answered that the Board of Trustees has specified that general funds cannot be used to support athletics except for $400,000 for Title 9, gender equity compliance. "[We] can't violate that. Pete Boone, Director of Athletics, understands that Athletics is an auxiliary enterprise and self-funded. He is doing a lot of creative things to generate revenue to offset losses from the sanctions. I want to be involved in athletics to set policy and respond, if problems arise. My focus is on this University and primarily on academics. The word is out there, and I think the commitment is there in the Athletic Office, and certainly from my office. I''ll do my best not to let that embarrassing and disruptive kind of thing occur again.

"The change in leadership at the Board is so refreshing. You are all going to be encouraged by there openness and the spirit of unity and cooperation that Tom Layzell, and his staff have brought to the office.

Regarding a reward structure for good teaching, " Dr. Walton and a group in the academic division are working on how to recognize good teaching. One thing we must do is teach more of our lower division courses with full-time faculty instead of teaching assistants. A second thing I think we ought to do is recognize outstanding teachers as outstanding researchers are recognized through the Barnard Professorship." Asked about a move by sister institutions to differentiate institutions granting more than 100 Ph.D.'s each year, he replied that it would be helpful to us if we were not placed in a category based on numbers of Ph.D.'s. "We should ask [ourselves], should we increase the number, if so how? Given the composition of the Board, I'd say it's important. "

The Chancellor closed by thanking the members of the Senate for the opportunity to speak to them.


Committee on General Academic Affairs: Senator Landon moved for approval of a Champions Proposal for an Honors Center.

Motion from the Committee on General Academic Affairs:

That the Senate advises the Chancellor that creation of the proposed new Honors Complex--that would convert three currently under used and dilapidated but centrally located old dormitories (Longstreet, Vardaman and Hill Halls to provide separate dormitories for female and male upperclassmen enrolled in the University Honors Program, and also house the Program's offices, a computer room, a. kitchen, classrooms, study carrels, and a place for the students to display their awards--because it would enable us to compete more effectively for our fair share of the cream of the crop of graduating high school seniors, not only in Mississippi but also regionally and nationally, would be of tremendous benefit to the University. However, the estimated $3,105,000 needed to renovate and furnish the designated dormitories should not come out the regular University budget but be provided for from outside funding as a major part of the Sesquicentennial-related campaign to meet "21st Century University Needs."

Discussion followed on several points regarding the Honors Center proposal: this would be one way to attract good students; similar programs have stood the test of time; is it advisable to separate the honors students from the general student body, where they serve as role models and mentors; should the monies be spent on other renovations; does restricting the use of General funds infringe on the Chancellor's prerogatives to support projects. A great deal of discussion revolved around the Senate's voting on isolated proposals. Some felt that the Senate could not set prudent priorities this way. Others felt that the Senate would overly influence priorities ordinarily set by the Administration. Finally, others argued that proposals should be discussed and voted on to provide a body of approved proposals that could serve as the basis for fundraising. Senator Wiebe and others pointed out that the proposals were moving forward for consideration regardless of the vote. This was an opportunity for the Faculty Senate to give its input. There would be opportunities later to influence priorities. It was moved that the proposal be tabled. This was approved 24 to 11.

Committee on Academic Support: Senator Gilbert reported that the Committee strongly approves the concept of planning for a Center for the Performing Arts. However, the committee does not recommend a vote on a specific proposal for the following reasons: the proposal includes personnel decisions which puts the committee in the position of making personnel decisions of one unit over another; the committee has no means of prioritizing funding; a vote by the Senate is precluded because $500,000 has already be allocated for planning of the project. The motion is that discussion of the Performing Arts Center be tabled by the Senate. The motion was seconded. There was also some discussion of the purpose of this committee: getting some ideas of what the users need to be able to tell the Chancellor that "this" is what this facility should be. There was some further discussion of how to handle isolated proposals and the need for the Executive Committee to work out a process for considering these proposals. An alternative motion was considered, but both were withdrawn (until the executive Committee could address the matter).

Committee on University Services: Senator Vaughn Grisham reported the committee has four proposals it's working on. One deals with improving the teaching here at the University by supplying each classroom with several items: overhead projectors, adequate lighting ,etc. A second proposal calls for a sprinkler system to be installed in the Circle at a cost of $35,000. Another calls for The University to set up litter free regions, and that individuals be empowered to work with champions to keep these areas litter free. Senator Grisham closed by inviting the attendees of the memorial service to continue to his house for a gathering "in celebration of our colleague Larry Debord."

Committee on Finance: Senator Lewis Smith reported that there were no proposals and asked that the Finance Committee members gather for a moment after the general meeting.

Committee on Faculty Governance: Senator Sisson had no report at this time.

The Committee on University Committees: Senator Johnson reported that he had not known that he was on the committee nor that he was the Chair. "Maybe this is something for the Committees on Committees to take up."

Committee on Elections: Senator Komara was not present. However, Senator Taylor reported that the election was completed for Accountancy.

Reports on Sesquicentennial Proposals: Senator Wiebe, Chair of the Committee for the Sesquicentennial, "I''m feeling frustrated. I hope this time we can resolve this."


NEW BUSINESS: It was asked that someone, perhaps Senator Grisham, prepare a memorial resolution for Larry Debord. Senator Grisham stated that would be done.

Mr. Craig Chapman was introduced President of the Associated Graduate student body attending meetings as an observer.

Vice Chair Hackett adjourned the meeting at approximately 3:50 pm.