To advance the mission of the University by providing superior information technology services to our clients through teamwork, partnership, and innovation.
News & Accomplishments
- Kathy Gates is serving as a faculty member for the EDUCAUSE Leadership Program.
- Kathy Gates is serving on the 2016 Mississippi Digital Government Summit Advisory Board.
- Chris Reichley and Robby Seitz are featured speakers for the 2016 Mississippi Digital Government Summit.
- Deetra Wiley participated in the 2016 Leadership Lafayette class.
- Michele Mize is participating in the Mississippi Economic Growth Alliance and Point of Presence (MEGAPOP) as a board member.
- Mary Robinson is serving as Vice President of the Mississippi Communications Technology Alliance (MCTA).
- Kathy Gates is serving on the Internet2 Community Engagement Program Advisory Board, the Internet2 NS Ops Excellence Community Steering Team, and the SAP Higher Education Advisory Council.
- Andrew Henry completed the M.S. degree in Computer Science in May 2016.
- Errol Sayre and Chris Reichley presented at the 2016 HERUG conference at Duke University on "How the University of Mississippi Improved User Experience in SAP Portal Applications using Current Web Techniques." (April 2016)
- Al Ling, Chris Reichley, and Margaret Walden presented "Crossing the Finish Line – The University of Mississippi’s Implementation of SAP Business Suite on HANA" at the 2016 HERUG conference in Durham, NC. (April 2016)
- Chris Reichley and Margaret Walden presented at the 2016 HERUG conference at Duke University on “Learn how CDS views have helped Ole Miss reporting capabilities in SAP Student Lifecycle Management.” (April 2016)
- Teresa McCarver presented “How Much is Too Much” at the 2016 Creating Futures Through Technology conference in Biloxi, MS. (March 2016)
- Kathy Gates served as a panelist for the Internet2 Webinar, "Communication in the Cloud: From Notification to Collaboration." (February 2016)
- Kathy Gates served as a panelist on social media and security for the Women in Higher Education Mississippi Network. (February 2016)
- Al Ling was featured at the 2015 SAP TechEd conference where he discussed UM's Suite on HANA project.
- Michele Mize participated in the Senior Director’s Seminar at the 2015 EDUCAUSE conference. (October 2015)
- Robby Seitz and Harshul Sharma were featured in the October 2015 Campus Technology article discussing UM's efforts around accessibility and responsiveness of myOleMiss.
- Kathy Gates served as a panelist on the topic of information security at the Mississippi Digital Government Summit. (September 2015)
- Shweta Shakya and Jie Tang made a presentation titled, "A successful recipe for a streamlined approach to multiple supplemental applications," at HighEdWeb Alabama in Tuscaloosa Al, June 2015
Chief Information Officer
Kathy Gates served as the Chief Information Officer for the University of Mississippi from February 2006 until her retirement in February 2017. Prior professional experiences include working as a software developer for AT&T Bell Laboratories and as a technical consultant for the Mississippi Center for Supercomputing Research. Gates received M.S. degrees in Mathematics and Computer and Information Science from The Ohio State University and the Ph.D. degree in Engineering Science from the University of Mississippi. She remains involved in many initiatives related to technology and higher education. Current areas of focus include text mining, mobile computing, and Web applications that interface with SAP.
Former CIO Buster Hale was named Interim CIO until a successor to Dr. Gates is named.
IT reports to the Provost and is organized around the following divisions: