Status: Crime Alert
UPD is investigating a reported sexual assault in the residential area.
In compliance with the federal Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, a Crime Alert is being issued for a reported sexual assault.
REPORTED OFFENSE: Sexual Assault
REPORTED TIME: February 23, approximately 3:30 a.m.
LOCATION OF OFFENSE: Residential Hall-3.
SUSPECT: The suspect has been identified.
Sexual assault can happen to anyone. Each member of the UM community shares in the responsibility to create and maintain a safe and respectful environment for all individuals. The perpetrator, not the survivor, is responsible for any instance of sexual assault.
You can help reduce the risk of sexual assault by watching out for the safety of others. To increase your safety and that of others, please consider the following:
- Consent – Anyone initiating any kind of sexual contact with another person must obtain their consent. Consent is an agreement or permission expressed through affirmative, voluntary words or actions that are mutually understandable to all parties involved. Consent cannot be given by someone who is incapacitated by the use of alcohol and/or drugs.
- Personal Safety – Perpetrators often use drugs and/or alcohol to target potential victims. Date rape drugs are tasteless, colorless, odorless, can be ingested in a multitude of forms, and effects are not immediately apparent. Be cautious of any substance you are drinking, eating or inhaling that you have not personally prepared and has not remained in your constant control.
- Bystander Intervention – Look out for each other. If you cannot be with a group of trusted friends, tell one or more of them where you are going, whom you will be with, when you expect to return, and let them know you will contact them if anything changes. If you see someone in trouble, safely intervene or call the police immediately.
Anyone with information on this crime or any other crime is encouraged to call the University of Mississippi Police Department at 662-915-4911.
For more information on sexual violence prevention and resources, see http://umsafe.olemiss.edu.
Crimes are identified using the terminology from the Clery Act. Additional information on the Clery Act, including definitions of crime terms can be found at: https://upd.olemiss.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/8/2017/10/ASR2017.pdf
Sexual Violence: Residential Area
- Download the LiveSafe app and send in tips if you see something suspicious.
- If you are walking by yourself, use LiveSafe to “Safe Walk” or call a friend while you walk.
- If you see someone who needs help, do something. We take care of each other on our campus.
- Call UPD in any emergency or to provide information related to this incident at 662-915-4911.
- Visit UMSAFE.olemiss.edu for more information about our policies and resources.
Last Updated: 2/23/2018 at 5:15 am
UPD Active Shooter Response